The Situation Generator tells you what's really going on. However, that doesn't always have anything to do with what the Transcendentals tell your team to do. Here's a way to take the actual mission and cover it with 95% pure confusion.
You should use the Situation Generator first, so you can drop in the relevant civilizations. Be ready to create a quick "cover" situation that accounts for discepancies between the mission briefing and the actual upcoming events.
Roll four dice, and use them on the following charts. Be ready to re-roll, as overly bizarre briefings may occasionally result - it is a random generation system, after all. Insert appropriate items into the parentheses.
1: You Must…
- Wormhole to (civilization),
- Wormhole to (location),
- Travel to (location), which is under a wormhole interdiction field,
- Speak with (NPC),
- Attend (event),
- Negotiate with (large group),
- Infiltrate (large group),
- Find and apprehend (NPC),
- Defend the Patent Office's recent actions to (large group),
- Take a vacation on (world),
- With an open mind.
- As soon as possible.
- At your convenience.
- Before (date).
- Not before (date).
- With (NPC).
- In disguise.
- As an official mouth of the Transcendentals.
3: Then you will…
- Avoid human contact,
- Investigate the use of (technology),
- Prevent the activation of (technology),
- Speak with (NPC)
- Prevent the spread of (technology),
- Insure that intellectual property law is being followed,
- Act as mediators,
- Make contact with (group),
- Be the target of an attack,
4: After which…
- We have no further information at this time.
- You should be prepared for conflict.
- You should work as quickly as possible to resolve the problem.
- You can take a week off.
- You will be updated in situ.
- You will be unable to return for three weeks.
- Backup will be available as you need it.
- You should contact the Home Office.
- You should stand ready for a new mission immediately.
- You will have to use your best judgement.
We've polished these up a little so they flow together more effectively.
8,1,1,5: You must find and apprehend (so-and-so), unnoticed. You should then avoid human contact. We will have additional information for you at that time.
4,6,5,9: You must speak with (this guy) before next Tuesday at 8:15 AM. Prevent him from spreading the device he has created. Once you accomplish this there will be a follow-up mission immediately.
7,3,2,2: Infiltrate (Cargo Cult) with an open mind. You must prevent them from using (device), but be prepared for conflict.
3,5,6,1: Travel to (location) at your convenience. Be warned that it is under a wormhole interdiction field, so direct transit is impossible. You are there only to observe. We have no further information for you at this time.