playing the game, I didn't find themes tha great to inspire creativity. As an alternative, I could imagine theme cards.
Theme cards would include a some situation ore event:
- There is romantic tension between two characters. (A player can veto this for his PC.)
- Someone finds a useful thing.
- Someone is unhurt, even though the chances were slim.
For greater effects each card could have some options to discard other theme cards.
Characters with high Import might be allowed to choose a certain number of cards as they like. Other cards are drawn at random.
- All the rules are there. Themes and Twists require some explanation. Handing players a card and informing them, to play them whenever they like, is much faster.
- There is some incentive to do things you otherwise wouldn't do. Some players might not choose Romance but when they draw a Romantic Tension card, why waste it?
- Better differentiation from Reserves. By now, reserves and twists are both some kinds of resoure that players can spend to get things. Changing twists to cards makes for a clear contrast.